Islamic State militants and their families began leaving a border area between Lebanon and Syria on Monday as part of a controversial negotiated deal with the extremist group to end its presence there, Lebanese and Syrian media reported.
"To prevent the convoy from moving further east, we cratered the road and destroyed a small bridge", US Army Col. Ryan Dillon, spokesman for the anti-ISIS coalition, told the Agence France-Presse.
Earlier, the USA envoy to the coalition condemned the evacuation, which was negotiated by the Lebanese army, the Syrian army and its ally Hezbollah.
IS agreed to a ceasefire deal that took effect on Sunday with the Lebanese army on one front and Hezbollah with the Syrian army on the other.
On August 28th hundreds of ISIS fighters were allowed to board buses in the Qalamoun mountains on the border of Lebanon and Syria and drive to eastern Syria near Deir ez-Zor. "In accordance with the law of armed conflict, the Coalition will take action against ISIS whenever and wherever we are able to". Lebanese officials say they are nearly sure the remains are of the soldiers.
The group, which has been classified as a terrorist by the USA since it was founded following Israeli occupation of Lebanon in the 1980s, has grown in prominence following its victory in 2006 war with Israel.
Iraq's Prime Minister, Haider al-Abadi, also criticised the deal in a speech on Tuesday, calling it "unacceptable" and an "insult to the Iraqi people".
The Takfiri group now holds nine Lebanese soldiers but on Sunday Ibrahim only spoke of eight bodies.
We review the key developments in Syria, including ISIS surrendering its enclave on the Lebanese-Syrian border, Netanyahu accusing Iran of building missile sites in Syria and Lebanon, and reports that the battle for Raqqa will be over in two months.
Buses carrying members of the Islamic State militant group (ISIS) and their families included a number of children as well, raising concerns as to the humanitarian consequences of a USA strike on the convoy. "We are monitoring them in real time".
Army commander Gen. Joseph Aoun told reporters later Wednesday that as the army offensive against IS was ongoing, the Lebanese mediator called him to say that the extremists accepted a cease-fire in return for information about the fate of the soldiers.
"We are fighting the terrorists in Iraq. Either to go on with the battle and not know the fate of the soldiers or give in and know the fate of the soldiers", Aoun said.
Lebanese army General Fadi Daoud said the area had been secured, but that there was still a danger of mines laid by the jihadists.